Sr. GIS Developer
- Location: Fairfax, VA
- Area code: 703
- Tax Term: Full Time
- Pay rate: Negotiable
AEEC is seeking a Sr. GIS Developer to work at our customer’s location in Fairfax, VA.
Our team is team is seeking a Senior GIS Developer who is interested growing their knowledge and skills on a fast-paced, challenging project. We are seeking someone with a strong drive to learn more and build an expanding knowledge base to work independently and grow this role.
In this role, you will design, develop, enhance, debug, and implement GIS applications. You will troubleshoot production problems related to software applications; implement change requests and resolves defects as defined in release plans; and research, test, build, and coordinate the conversion and/or integration of new products based on client requirements. In addition, you will address problems of systems integration, compatibility, and multiple platforms. You’ll consult with project teams and end users to identify application requirements and assists in performing feasibility analysis on potential future projects for management. In addition, you’ll resolve problems with ESRI Arc GIS tools/ software and respond to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
Specific duties may include:
- Lead GIS Development of the assigned component area
- Use diagnostic skills as necessary to troubleshoot and resolve production issues
- Participate in customer interfaces
- Conduct impact analysis activities
- Report/track defects using the help desk defect reporting system
- Provide Operations and Maintenance support
- Implement CRs and DRs as defined in release plans
- Respond to Tier 3 requests
- Provide general GIS support to Risk MAP CDS Project
- Edit and maintain regulatory datasets
- Understand the business needs, technical significance and usage project applications and datasets
- Communicate effectively with FEMA and its stakeholders
- Participate in key monthly Risk MAP meetings
Citizenship and background investigation: US citizenship is required by our Federal Customer. All applicants will be required to submit a background investigation application prior to beginning work.
Physical Demands: While performing duties of the job, incumbent is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
AEEC is a Federal Contractor and agrees to comply with all provisions set forth in Equal Employment Opportunity, Executive Order 11246, as amended, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, 38 U.S.C. 4212 of the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended, 29 CFR Part 471, Appendix A to Subpart A (Executive Order 13496), and Executive Order 11246. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact our HR Department at email@example.com or 703-766-4300.
AEEC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.Back to Careers
- Experience using Python, including Esri ArcPy or GDAL libraries
- Experience working with large geospatial data sets
- Experience working with spatial datasets like GeoJSON, SQL Server Spatial, Oracle Spatial, IBM DB2, Esri ArcSDE, file geodatabases, shapefiles, or KML preferred
- Experience using Safe Software Feature Manipulation Engine (FME) Desktop
- Experience working with enterprise RDBMS databases using SQL development environments like Toad, Aqua studio, Oracle SQL Developer, or other IDEs preferred
- Use strong expertise in various GIS software (primarily ESRI ArcGIS), as well as various geographic data formats and standard data conversion and transformation methods, for geographic analysis.
- Develops and maintains links between various databases and simple applications and scripts, and uses existing scripts in Python, ArcPy, XML Parsing, SQL, and ETL toolsets like FME from Safe Software.
- Builds data geoprocessing procedures using either Python, FME, and SQL
- Writes code that automates the connection to a data source(s), executes geospatial functions, and exports results to another data source
- Comfortable executing full range of spatial join, union, merge, and other overlay functions Develop in-depth knowledge and expertise and perform analysis to ensure accuracy of corporate information and data systems and their associated inter-connectivity.
- Gain understanding of various area processes and leverages knowledge/understanding gained to support developing improvements/recommendations arising out of Data management and other initiative analysis.
- Can rapidly troubleshoot GIS Systems problems with data processing, delivery, service generation, and other data lifecycle issues in GIS Systems.
- Develop sufficient knowledge to correlate data across multiple data platforms and related but disparate data sets.
- Support the efforts of other team members cross system queries, reports and analysis.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, and to identify relevant issues in solving business problems.
- Familiar with most standard Software Development Lifecycles
- Proficient in both Client/Server and Web based programming.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Keen diagnostic and problem solving skills
- Possesses and applies expertise on multiple complex work assignments that are broad in nature, requiring originality and innovation in determining how to accomplish tasks. Has the ability to apply a comprehensive knowledge across key tasks and high-impact assignments. Functions as a technical subject matter expert across multiple project assignments
- Develops Geographic Databases through use of GIS and advanced technologies for specialized purposes such as addressing, utility mapping, decision support, converting paper products to seamless digital raster graphics and vectorizing features while maintaining FGDC or ISO-19115 compliant metadata